I just hope to post happy, cheerful and funny stuff. It's just a personal blog that's meant to be fun & not too serious!
I’m actually old enough to have an ex boyfriend who has been married, had 2 children and is now getting a divorce. I’m 26 on Tuesday. My Facebook news feed is full of pics of my old classmates’s school age children playing in the snow. When someone says “10 years ago” I have to remind myself they mean 2003 (the year I finished my GCSEs) not the 90’s. My life is still good though :-)
Rupy Kaur: Why she kicks ass
- She is a Sikh disability activist and an officer for NUS Disabled Students’ Campaign; which is the largest single organisation in the UK run by disabled students, for disabled students.
- At the University of Manchester, she was founder and chairwoman of the ABLED society, which was set up to enhance disabled students’ experiences at university.
- She was also elected as the Open Place Representative on the Disabled Students’ Committee for the National Union of Students. Her role involves raising disability issues, including accessible transport.
- Rupy is also a member of SKILL, the National Bureau of Students with Disabilities. She was appointed member of the Disabled Persons’ Transport Advisory Committee in July.
- In 2009, she completed a tandem skydive at Grange over Sands to raise funds for the anti racism organisation Searchlightand its Hope Not Hate campaign.
Ruby Wax on mental illness, [x].
and just in case you aren’t sad enough, here are a couple of brain scans showing differences between the brains of two children of equivalent ages.
The experience of being abused and deprived of stimulation permanently and physicially alters the developing brain of a child in significant measurable ways that we do not have the science yet to repair after the damage is discovered.
It sounds very odd, but, in fact, when you are an infant and your brain is developing, the love that the people around you give, the touch, the eye contact, the tone of voice, the things, the physical manifestations of our love literally provide stimulation to the developing brain, and the neurons in the brain have more sprouts. They make certain areas connect more effectively. They make certain areas grow. They literally make the brain become functional.Love literally grows the brain.[x]
The kid whose head is wired by neglect or abuse is going to have a difficult life in a world his brain was not built to interact with. Maybe he’ll get in trouble with the law, have emotional problems and act out or become abusive to his loved ones, or maybe he’ll just spin his wheels and feel empty and wonder why (as many people will no doubt have asked him outright over his years) he can’t just try harder to get over it.
Massive amounts of therapy will help later, but that’s assuming he isn’t too ashamed to get it or turned away thanks to our bullshit for-profit healthcare system.
Mind over matter is bullshit if the matter is your mind.
It’s okay to blame a woman in the case of rape if she…
had been wearing a short skirt
was too drunk to give consent
consumed rape drugs
was ‘asking for it’
had already had sex with the other person
was wearing revealing clothing
- was the rapist
GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD.